Many applications to the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) for heavy freight vehicle access require route assessments. HDS Australia is a prominent provider of such services throughout Australia. We have extensive experience in undertaking heavy vehicle route assessments for many local government authorities, transport operators and other private clients.
HDS Australia can undertake site inspection and route capacity reporting to assist clients who are seeking approval for access to the national highway, state arterial or local road networks for L2, L3 and L4 classified vehicles under the National Transport Commission (NTC) Performance Based Standards (PBS) scheme. The L2 classification relates to B-Double vehicles and short (30m) road trains. The L3 classification relates to B-Triple vehicles and standard (36m) road trains, while the L4 classification relates to long (53m+) road trains.
HDS Australia has also recently been undertaking council wide network level heavy vehicle route assessments for regional councils within South Australia to assess the existing network and identify roads or intersections of high risk to help councils prioritise the upgrade of their road freight network.
For more information or to arrange for a heavy vehicle route assessment to be undertaken, please contact any one of our accredited Heavy Vehicle Route Assessors on the email addresses listed below:
- Daniel Ahrens - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Timothy Viner Smith - email@example.com
- Hugh Dixon - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deshitha Senanayake - email@example.com
HDS Australia's heavy vehicle route assessment services draw on our extensive road safety auditing skills. In total, we have eight highly experienced road safety auditors in our team, all accredited with the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) in South Australia, VicRoads in Victoria and nationally with other relevant road authorities.
HDS Australia has provided heavy vehicle route assessment services on a very large number of projects over the last 15 years. Some of our most recent projects include route assessments on:
- the Sturt Highway, from Penfield Road to the state border (PBS L3A),
- the Mallee Highway, from Tailem Bend to Pinnaroo (PBS L3A),
- Port Augusta to Port Bonython in regional South Australia (PBS L4A),
- Eyre Highway / Wakefield Highway, from state border to Gillman (PBS L3B),
- Hollinsworth Road to Astoria Street, Sydney Business Park, Marsden Park (PBS L2B),
- the Southern Mallee District Council road network (B-Double),
- Mount Terrible Road, Minlaton (30m Road Train),
- Balgowan Road, Maitland (28.2m Road Train), and
- Boundary Road, Murray Bridge (B Double).
Further information on routes that already have heavy vehicle gazettal or that operate under existing permits can be found using the NHVR journey planner on their website at http://gis.nhvr.gov.au/journeyplanner/.
More information on HDS Australia's experience can be found in Heavy Vehicle Route Assessment - the South Australian Experience.